Monday, November 8, 2010

TV Dinner!

By: Christine
My Dad's birthday was coming up and I wanted to bake him something really fun and yummy. I went straight to my favorite books, "Hello Cupcake" and "What's New Cupcake," for some ideas of what to make him. I had made my Dad "hamburgers" for Father's Day, and since they were such a huge hit, I wanted to do something similar to that idea. What I found in the "Hello Cupcake" book was an idea for a TV Dinner; complete with chicken drumsticks, mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, and a cupcake for dessert (made with cupcakes, frosting, and some additional items.) I knew this was something that my dad would enjoy for his birthday!
I started with the peas and carrots cupcake. I frosted the entire cupcake with green buttercream. Then I added green Skittles candies for the peas. I cut up orange Starburst candies for the carrots and added them to the top of the cupcake in between where the "peas" were placed.
The next cupcake I worked on was the mashed potatoes cupcake. I frosted the the cupcake with white buttercream. I drizzled caramel sauce on top to resemble gravy and added a yellow Starburst on top for the "butter".
 The next part of this TV dinner that I worked on was the chicken drumsticks. I started out by frosting three of the cupcakes with white buttercream. I piled the frosting higher than normal to get a better shape. I rolled the frosted cupcake into graham cracker crumbs to create the drumstick breading.
Using melted white chocolate wafers, I created the drumstick "bones."
The final cupcake that completed the TV dinner was dessert. Instead of pudding, which was the recommended item in the "Hello Cupcake" book, I decided that, since it was my Dad's birthday, I should make a cupcake for the dessert portion of this TV dinner. I frosted the cupcake with deep blue buttercream and added some large pastel sprinkles.
 This TV dinner was complete. Happy Birthday Dad!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment