Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

We both decided to make some delicious treats to celebrate Valentine's Day. Jill made nutella filled hearts & Christine made mini red velvet cheesecake bites!
Jill: Nutella Filled Hearts
The crust for the hearts is made with a tasty pâte brisée crust. A pâte brisée crust is made using flour, butter, and ice water with a small amount of vinegar mixed into it. This crust is characterized by all the ingredients being mixed together at a cold temperature. This ensures a wonderful flaky texture and taste.
After I rolled out the crust, I cut out heart-shaped pieces.
I put a small scoop of Nutella on half of the hearts.
Then, I put a small amount of egg-wash around the edging and placed another heart cut-out on top. I used a fork to close the hearts.
I also put an egg-wash on top of all the hearts and sprinkled them with sugar.
The sugar on top of the hearts gives them this wonderful brown color after they are baked.
They were so delicious!
I will definitely make these again for another occasion and try other cookie cutter shapes.
Christine: Mini Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites
After seeing this recipe, I knew that I had to make these mini cheesecakes for Valentine's Day. I started out making the crust using crushed Oreo cookies and butter. Then, I made the cheesecake batter and added the cocoa powder and red food coloring to get the red velvet look and taste!
After baking the cheesecakes, I let them cool for a few hours in the refrigerator.
After they were completely cooled, I took the cheesecakes out of the mini muffin pan and added some whipped cream to the top! I also sprinkled on pink sugar to complete these mini cheesecake bites.
These mini red velvet cheesecake bites were a perfect size and they were a delicious Valentine's Day treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment